Monday, April 16, 2012

How a Photo and Social Media Inspired a New Passion and Hope


A few months back one of the traders I follow on a regular basis posted a vacation picture from Cinque Terre Italy. In looking at the photos I would be hard pressed to find a more amazing landscape. Although Italy had always casually awed me with respect to culture, history and family tradition I had never gone much beyond hand me down traditions and here say stories. A combination of the sheer beauty of the photo, an unending interest in Italian cooking and an excuse to escape studying for a professional certification exam sparked an unimaginable curiosity I had never expected in my wildest dreams. And so I began my journey into learning Italy through casual reading, followed by sharing my new found passion with friends.

The entire situation still strikes me funny, as I would have never expected an individual I have never and likely will never meet spark months of unparalleled curiosity in my life. None the less, many months later, my passion to learn Italian culture is only becoming stronger and more enjoyable. The journey has taken a strikingly similar path as my interest in trading did, which began with casual reading on my own, followed by a need to share my passion with friends of similar interests and exchange ideas and information. 

Aside from the enjoyment I get from learning a unique and amazingly interesting Italian culture which I will likely post about going forward; I also find reprieve in the social forces of my generation that enabled such passions to foster. I’m still not sure whether or not the ease with which I was able to find friends with comparable passionate interests to mine a result of chance, or a representation of our generation.

However, being the relatively optimistic person I am, I’d like to think it speaks to the potential of our generation. The aforementioned individuals I had encountered along my adventures of trading and learning Italian culture had a head start on their respective learning curves. Both were exceptionally receptive to my new found interest and willing to fulfill my curiosity on a recurring basis that most would take to be obnoxious. They had both exploited the wealth of information available to our generation through 24/7 internet access, blogging, social media, tangible experience and were more than willing to collaborate on their findings with me.

Is it merely a coincidence to find such individuals? Maybe.  Is it just a one off example of a group of college students amidst many within our society without such privileges? Maybe. Or do these peer mentors of mine speak to an example of the value within the structure of our generation and the passion, intelligence, willful collaboration and generosity of the generation to come. Let’s hope.

Thanks for your help.

Idea for the post inspired by Barry Ritholtz

No comments:

Post a Comment